The humble chickpea has a long and storied history throughout many parts of the world – particularly in North Africa, the Middle East, and the Mediterranean. Its uses range from soups to salads to hummus, but perhaps its most iconic preparation is fried chickpeas. Fried crunchy chickpeas have been eaten for centuries – an ancient form of fast food!
The dish is incredibly versatile; it can be spiced with anything from cumin to chili powder to suit any palate. Whether you’re looking for a crunchy snack or a flavorful side dish, fried chickpeas are sure to please. And as an added bonus, they’re packed with protein and fiber for that nutritional boost your body needs.
This tasty snack pairs beautifully with my Elderflower Rose Gimlet.
So break out your skillet and get cooking – it’s time to explore the delicious possibilities of fried chickpeas!
Smoky Crunchy Chickpeas
- Small bowl Baking sheet
- 1 15oz Can Chickpeas Garbanzos
- 2 Tbls Olive oil Extra virgin
- 2 Tsp Spanish Bittersweet Pimenton
- 1 Tsp Dried French Thyme
- 1 Tsp Kosher salt
- 1 Clove Peeled garlic cloves, cut in quarters vertically
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Drain the chickpeas of the liquid in the can and rinse them well. Let them drain again and lay them on paper towels to dry, changing the towel at least once. Roll them around the paper towel so that all parts of them get blotted.1 15oz Can Chickpeas
- Toss chickpeas (and optional garlic) with olive oil in a small bowl. If you wish add the spice blend to the bowl and toss chickpeas so they’re coated. Lay the spiced chickpeas in one layer on baking sheet.2 Tbls Olive oil, 1 Tsp Dried French Thyme, 1 Clove Peeled garlic cloves, cut in quarters vertically, 2 Tsp Spanish Bittersweet Pimenton
- Bake in oven until golden brown and crunchy. They will crisp further once they cool. Be careful not to let the chickpeas or spices burn.
- Remove from oven and let cool so that once served in a bowl the steam doesn’t cause them to soften up. If you haven’t already added the spice blend do so now and stir with a spoon to coat the chickpeas.1 Tsp Kosher salt, 2 Tsp Spanish Bittersweet Pimenton
- Serve while barely room or at room temperature.
- Smoky paprika and cumin for a subtle, smoky heat.
- Cinnamon and sugar for a sweet and warm treat.
- Turmeric and ginger offer a warm, spicy kick.
- Lime and black pepper provide a refreshing citrus and mild heat combo.
Where chickpeas are grown
Chickpeas are usually grown in warmer climates, as they need plenty of sunlight and warm temperatures. They can be grown in a variety of soils from loamy to sandy-loam, but must have adequate moisture for the plants to thrive. Chickpeas are harvested either manually or mechanically depending on the region where they are cultivated; after harvest, the chickpeas are shelled before being processed for sale. It’s no wonder that these tasty legumes have been enjoyed by civilizations around the world for centuries; with a smoky crunchy flavor, what’s not to love? From falafel to hummus, let us all raise our plates to the mighty chickpea! Enjoy your fried, smoky crunchy chickpeas today. Bon appétit!
0 comments on “Smokey Crunchy Chickpeas”
You must log in to post a comment.