If you’re looking for a fast and easy way to make decadent cookies that will have your friends and family asking for seconds, then look no further than my famous bourbon chocolate chip cookies. Even the jaded Urban Farmers at Wattles agree that these are the cookies to beat. Made with brown butter and packed with flavor, these gluten-free treats offer the perfect combination of crispy edges and chewy centers. So let’s get baking!
The Secret Ingredient – Brown Butter
No doubt you’ve heard of regular butter, but what about brown butter? It’s made by melting unsalted butter in a skillet over medium heat until it roams and turns golden brown. This process enhances the flavor of the butter by adding nutty caramel notes. That’s why I use it in all my cookie recipes – including this one for amazing bourbon chocolate chip cookies.
Making the Dough
Making these cookies is super easy – no mixer required! To start, combine 4 ounces of melted brown butter with 1/2 cup white sugar and 3/4 cup light brown sugar. Beat together until creamy, then add one large egg + 1 egg yolk. In another bowl, whisk together 2 cups cake flour (or all-purpose flour), one teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Finally, stir in 1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips and two tablespoons of real American bourbon whiskey into the wet ingredients before combining everything together.
Baking & Decorating Your Cookies
After scooping your dough onto an ungreased baking sheet lined with parchment paper, bake at 350°F for 12 minutes or until lightly golden on top. I like to decorate mine with more semi-sweet chocolate chips after they come out of the oven, so feel free to get creative here! Let them cool completely on a wire rack before serving – if you can wait that long…
When it comes to comfort food that’s fast, fantastic, and impossible not to love – there’s no debating: my famous bourbon chocolate chip cookies are number one! With their unique blend of flavors thanks to brown butter, crunchy edges & chewy centers, these sweet treats will quickly become your new favorite dessert. So go ahead; give them a try today! You won’t be disappointed!
Raggedy Man’s Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 heatproof bowl
- 1 small bowl
- 1 mixing spoon
- 1 whisk
- 1 saucepot
- 1 heatproof spatula
- 1 1 1/2 oz scoop
- 2 parchment-lined rimmed baking sheets
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter divided into pieces for faster melting
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yokes
- 2 tsp bourbon
- 6 oz bittersweet chocolate (60%–70% cacao), coarsely chopped
- Place racks in the upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 375°.
- Whisk flour, salt, and baking soda in a small bowl; set aside.1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, 1 1/4 tsp salt, 3/4 tsp baking soda
- Make brown butter: Cook ½ cup (1 stick; 113 g) butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, swirling often and scraping the bottom of the pan with a heatproof rubber spatula, until butter foams, then browns, about 4 minutes. Transfer butter to a large heatproof bowl and let cool 1-2 minutes. Cut remaining ¼ cup (½ stick; 56 g) butter into small pieces and add to brown butter (it should melt but not foam and sizzle, test the heat of the brown butter with a small piece before adding the rest. If you see foam and sizzle then wait a minute or so till the butter temperature reduces to just melt the remaining butter).3/4 cup unsalted butter
- Once butter is melted, add both sugars and whisk, breaking up any clumps, until sugar is incorporated and no lumps remain. Add egg and egg yolks and whisk until sugar dissolves and mixture is smooth, about 30 seconds. Whisk Bourbon. Using rubber spatula, fold reserved dry ingredients into butter mixture just until no dry spots remain (don’t overmix), then fold in chocolate (the dough will be soft but should hold its shape once scooped; if it slumps or oozes after being scooped, stir dough back together several times and let rest 5–10 minutes until scoops hold their shape as the flour hydrates).1 cup dark brown sugar, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 large egg, 2 large egg yokes, 2 tsp bourbon, 6 oz bittersweet chocolate
- Using a 1½-oz. scoop (3 Tbsp.), portion out 16 balls of dough and divide between 2 parchment-lined rimmed baking sheets. Bake cookies, rotating sheets if cookies are browning very unevenly (otherwise, just leave them alone), until deep golden brown and firm around the edges, 8–10 minutes. Let cool on baking sheets.
You must be logged in to post a comment.