NICKELODEON'S BROADBAND VIDEO PLATFORM
TurboNick was Nickelodeon’s broadband video platform with unparalleled new features including continuous video streaming, customized play lists, content in multiple languages, the ability to search the broad Nickelodeon content library, and more. Kids had the opportunity to control their individual entertainment experiences and become “programmers” with mash-up applications, the ability to rate videos, or interactive games. Featuring Flash video technology, TurboNick allowed PC and Mac users to access hundreds of Nick long and short form programming videos online, including select new episodes immediately after they air on the network.
Since its initial soft launch (Sept. 20 to Oct. 1, 2005), TurboNick had generated close to 19 million content streams, an increase of +911% versus the previous year’s equivalent time period, which is almost 10 times the amount of streams for the same time period in 2005. TurboNick averaged 236,000 daily unique visitors, a +489% increase over previous year (source: Omniture SiteCatalyst). TurboNick was one of several multi platform experiences that allow kids to access Nickelodeon content, joining its Video on Demand offerings on cable, podcasts, Nick Arcade, and video clips through wireless providers, among others. In third quarter 2006, Nickelodeon television took the lead across all kid and tween demos, and achieved record Video on Demand numbers (Source: Nielsen Media Research and Rentrak).
- Play lists a new option that allowed users to drag and drop videos to create play lists, trade play lists with friends and send videos through links via email. With “My TurboNick,” users were able to save their play lists or other’s favorite play lists or videos.
- Nick Mash-ups Users create their own mini-movies using clips, stills and audio from videos within TurboNick 2.0, using provided graphics and transitions. These mash-ups can be displayed on TurboNick 2.0 or emailed to friends, or displayed on users’ personalized Internet pages. Some content might even be chosen to air on Nickelodeon.
- User ratings Users are able to rate videos and the top rated videos become a category on TurboNick 2.0. Select videos will be highlighted editorially on the site.
- Search function allows users to search for their favorite videos from hundreds of videos from the Nick library by character or show.
- Games in TurboNick TurboNick 2.0 offers trivia, quizzes, sliders, memory games and other basic level casual gaming to play while the video player streams content. It will soon feature interactive video-related gaming, which will correlate directly with the property you are viewing.
- Skinnable designs the player will, in the future, be customizable with themes and color.
You must be logged in to post a comment.